June 14, 2012

Sizzling Kiss from Dark Days of Promise

Wondering how I put the exercise of writing a Sizzling Kiss together in my own work?
My first effort last fall  for your perusal.

(excerpt are unedited)
Going to the refrigerator, I pulled the gallon jug from the cold, shaking it.
“Oh those boys, I can’t seem to keep milk in the house. Looks like we’re almost out.” I pulled the last clean glass from the cupboard to pour the last of the milk. He stood to join me near the counter. The milk looked refreshing. I licked my lips in subconscious knowledge of the sweet coolness of the liquid.
“Why don’t you drink it?” He suggested, making a fist to cover the cough that escaped with his words.
“I couldn’t, I poured it for you.” I answered, offering the glass to him.
“You have a few swallows, then I’ll finish it.” He accepted the glass but didn’t lift it to his lips.
I gazed into the warm recesses of his eyes, overwhelmed with his nearness. My previous immunity to his charisma wilted before plunging into the warmth of his magnetism.
“Drink,” he ordered placing the glass in my hand.
“Yes sir,” I answered, lifting the glass to my lips while watching his eyes. They seemed to change, their color growing richer, warmer and more intense. I busied myself with swallowing and watching his eyes and didn’t notice when he reached in his pocket for the mistletoe again. When I handed the glass to him, he finished the milk with two large swallows. Smiling, he lifted the mistletoe above my head once more. I glanced up at it before returning my gaze to his eyes. My stomach flew to my throat. His presence overwhelmed me.
“Another kiss on the cheek?” I murmured the question with a smile.
He lowered the mistletoe while setting the empty glass on the counter. His gaze locked with mine. “Do you trust me?”
“Do I have a choice?” I whispered.
With the mistletoe still in hand, he placed it at the back of my head. I felt the strength of his fingers as they became entwined in my hair. My heart accelerated its beating dance, knowing a much more euphoric rush would accompany his kiss. More than his first visit, more than his peck on my cheek, more . . . A warm quiver of anticipation settled over me, fixing me to the spot. The music from the movie in the next room swelled, intensifying the moment. His lips brushed mine hinting of gingerbread and milk. In that instant, I wondered if I had ever truly experienced such a kiss. The gentle pressure was warm and sweet, inviting me to live in the moment. An experience that had eluded me in all my years with another . . . I couldn’t even remember his name. My adrenalin roller coaster revved its engine in my stomach before climbing with massive force in an upward motion before dropping to my deepest core. And yet it didn’t last long enough. He no sooner released my lips than I had the distinct feeling that he reclaimed everything he had just given me.

---Not enough sizzle? Stay tuned for more Sizzling Kisses and the second kiss between these characters--- but no promise as to the date as some wonderful authors are sharing theirs as well. *snicker -tease*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading a good mystery novel. But along with that , I want the story to keep me hanging on every word. I like the way this author has done just that. I also like feeling like I'am actually part of the story, and this excerpt from Dark Days of Promise, has done just that,The author does a great job of telling the story and involving the reader. Great job.Ps if you happen to write any science fiction novels please post them as well.

Kari Pike said...

Awesome!

Susan G. Haws said...

Both kisses were good. Nice sizzle.

Unknown said...

OK, I don't know if it makes a difference now, but I would change the milk to eggnog. Two reasons. #1 there is something strange about sharing milk. People don't usually do it. Since we were kids in grade school with our cartons perched on the little pastic trays, parents, teachers and lunch ladies warned us not to share our milk or we'd get sick. #2, eggnog is sweeter. It would give the kiss a whole other level of desire. No one wants to lick milk off someones lips, but eggnog? Yeah baby.

Shaunna said...

Chritina--
True so true. I considered the eggnog but the financially stuggling woman whose kitchen they are in would not splurge for such a luxury. Thanks for the comment.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...