March 10, 2011

Title: Dark Days of Promise (excerpt is unedited and may undergo changes prior to publication)
Genre: Women's Fiction
Status: WIP

Not everyday ends as expected. Today my perceptions of my same-old semi-boring life changed, putting wheels into motion that had glided to a halt years earlier.


“My goodness, Kellie,” Janine exclaimed. “You didn’t tell me it was the mirror from above the mantel the boys broke. I could have brought the car down to your place. You didn’t need to carry the mirror up the hill just to add to my Halloween decorations.”

I smiled at my best friend. Thirty-five years separated my thirty odd years from her seventy plus but not our hearts. Janine had shown no sign of slowing down until the past summer despite her almost white hair and wizened face. Her stroke left its mark. Her smile often twitched and always seemed a bit crooked but still reached her gray-blue eyes. In her hand, she carried a cane but didn’t use it in the exact manner the doctor had instructed.

I strained to pull the mirror up the last step, my muscles not used to the effort. I considered resuming my impromptu exercise program to go with my third try at Marge’s outrageous diet. I didn’t have that much to lose, but I wanted my flat tummy back. The sight of my belly and hips reflected in the framed mirror with its spider web cracks made me momentarily cringe.

“I didn’t carry it, I used Krista’s wagon to haul it. I’m stubborn but not crazy enough to put my back out.” I panted, thankful that Janine’s drive wasn’t any steeper, that the pines kept the long drive well shaded, and that her porch boasted three steps instead of four like my own.

“What did the boys hit it with?”

“Would you believe me if I told you Phillip threw his football down the hall from his bedroom? Carter claims that he was going out for a long pass.”

Update:
This entery did not win the contest. Congrats to you sisters in ANWA who did. It looks like the agent was looking for something else.

8 comments:

Tanya Reimer said...

Nice job. Touching. Your ladies grabbed me! so, ah, when do we get more?

Jolene Perry said...

I love that last line :)

Nice job!

Anonymous said...

I love the friendship between the two ladies. I wish I knew what the problem these ladies will have to overcome through the course of the novel.

Deana said...

Your characters seem easy to love!

Gabriela Lessa said...

Great entry, Shaunna! Really nice descriptions! Good luck!

Gabriela Lessa said...

Congratulations! You are one of the 12 finalists! Your entry has been forwarded to guest judge Lora Rivera. The 3 winners will be announced on March 30th. Thanks for entering the contest and giving me the chance to read some great writing! Good luck!

Peggy Urry said...

Great job. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Shaunna said...

Thank you all for your comments. As to when you get you might get to read some more . . . This whole manuscript is currently being edited. Then, hopefully an agent will like what he/she reads and we will go from there.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...