May 16, 2011

Interview with Owens Family Saga author, Marsha Ward

Reviewing books is not enough. Let me share my conversations with a few of these awesome authors. We've already chatted with Heather Moore, let's visit with Marsha Ward. Come on in and be a fly on the wall!

Marsha, tell me about your dream of becoming a writer.

I actually didn't ever dream about being a writer, as my efforts were focused around a career in music. I did begin a novel on the side, because I had always written something or other, all my life. When I had to back away from the music career, I became a wife and mother, which actually was always my dream. Writing was simply something I did because I enjoyed it. Then I read a really badly written novel, and knew I could do better.

No wonder we click! My first love is music as well. Then too, I remember the awful novel that spurned me to write. When did you decide you wanted to write?

When I read that badly-written and inaccurate novel, I became interested in writing for money. Coincidentally, I was presented with an opportunity to write newspaper articles, which brought in good money for quite a few years. In the meantime, I began to send out queries on the novel. The market was dropping for Westerns, so I didn't get any offers, although I got good comments. I eventually became an independently published author (indie-author).

How does it feel when you write?

Do you want the truth? This may get censored. When I'm in the zone, and the writing is coming out as smoothly as butter flowing down the sides of a hot biscuit, it's better than sex. It's an all-encompassing blanket of warmth, a bubble of pure pleasure.

I love your description of writing, and no, I will not censor you! But tell me, what is your favorite genre?
My favorite genre to write is historical novels set in the 19th century: Westerns is the broad category; post-American Civil War tales of Western migration is more specific. Why? Because I've always felt I was born in the wrong century. That time just resonates in my soul. I have to tell about it. We, as an American people, are in danger of forgetting our past. That is very dangerous. I need to bring the values of that period back to our remembrance. I also want to let readers know that they can survive terrible things, and come out at the other side of the experience with hope.

Because I'm contrary, my favorite genre to read is mysteries.

Of all the wonderful pieces you’ve written (Please list them all so I don’t miss one or worse, misspell one), which is your favorite?

Oh my. I can't possibly list all the 900+ articles I've written, so I'll list the novels in The Owen Family Saga. I have several short stories and collections listed as ebooks on Smashwords.com and Amazon.com, also. The novels are The Man from Shenandoah, Ride to Raton, and Trail of Storms. I'm writing Spinster's Folly, which is the fourth book in the series. Asking which book is my favorite is like asking which is my favorite child, but I'll say that Spinster's Folly is my current favorite. How's that for sidestepping the issue?

Add a little dance to that sidestep. It seems that most author's "current baby" are always favorites. Tell me about your all time favorite character (of your creating).


I'd have to say my favorite character is James Owen. I've made him suffer a great deal, and he's survived, and become a better man for it. I'm letting him rest a bit now.

You're to deliciously cruel. Anything else you want to share . . .

My novels are available in many ebook formats at Smashwords.com: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/marshaward; and as trade paperbacks and ebooks at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Marsha-Ward/e/B003RB9P9Q/, and at BarnesandNoble.com: http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?ATH=Marsha+Ward&STORE=BOOK. Come visit my website at http://marshaward.com, and my blogs at http://marshaward.blogspot.com (Writer in the Pines) and http://charactersinmarshashead.blogspot.com (The Characters in Marsha's Head).

Thank you for interviewing me, Shaunna! It was a great pleasure to be on your blog.

6 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I know what its like to "be in the zone." I'm afraid I'm prone to letting family members go hungry during those times, but when the bubble pops and I sit back, I read over what's spilled out of my mind-and I can't wait to wake up and do it all over again. hehe

9oo plus articles? Holy Cow, Marsha! That's amazing! Your mind must never stop churning. Great interview.

Marsha Ward said...

LOL, Deb! "Churning" is a great descriptor of how my mind goes a mile a minute.

Thanks for a great interview, Shaunna!

Irene Bennett Brown said...

Enjoyed the interview! Thanks for telling it like it is, Marsha. Love the title, Spinster's Folly and look forward to hearing more about the book.

Taffy said...

Nice post/interview! Did you say s-e-x? gigglegiggle.
I was in the zone yesterday and typed "damn." I couldn't believe it came out and immediately erased it but the word certainly fit.

Writers Unite to Fight Cancer said...

I love your description of writing. On good days I feel the same way.
On bad days - well not so good.

Thanks for spilling it all out.

Margaret

Shaunna said...

Marsha this has been great fun. Let's be sure to do it again!
Westerns seem to be a dying art and it's good to see a resurgence, if only from your quarter.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...