July 25, 2011

A Wheelchair - not Deaf, Dumb or Blind

Why is it that when I occupy my wheelchair, people assume that I’m deaf, dumb, and blind? Are you?


I am not deaf. I hear things you miss every day, my child’s tears for example. When was the last time you listened, really listened to anyone’s tears?

I am not dumb. Dumb, according to Merriam-Webster’s 11th Edition means lacking the power of human speech. That doesn’t mean yelling or even raising one’s voice. Hopefully it means the ability to communicate with the family member or friend who’s tears you’ve just listened to.

I am not blind. I see the pain on the child’s face when you ignore him. I see the friend, whose chair you appear frightened of. I see their pain at your lack of acceptance. I see you pull into the handicapped parking space and jump out of your car to run, yes run, into the store. I see the sweet old man that is forced by your disregard to limp twice as far to reach the store front. I see you dodge around the corner, apparently embarrassed to acknowledge me.

Oh yes, I may occupy a wheelchair, but I am very able. Able in ways you cannot conceive.

No comments:

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...