January 29, 2012

A Night of Talent

Who had a clue? I and my family are surrounded by talented people. Last evening we gathered with our church family. Okay, so some think we're a stuffy group on Sundays but are we really?

We had quite a display of visual arts including some that are dying in these days of store bought clothing. It wasn't just the occasional girls dresses, but prom formals designed and sewn by some of the women. I know where my daughter goes to get her prom dresses! Beautiful!

The sewing included quilts and baby blankets, sewn, crocheted and knitted and would you believe knitted socks? Oh they looked warm and colorful! Knitted sweaters from more than one accomplished knitter and that is not where it stopped. Displays also included photography, imaginations of youth in the form of paper and Styrofoam guns (they actually looked like barrettas - more than one - and an m16), canned foods (another dying art), many edible baked goods and homemade dipped truffles! We had a lot of artists sharing their work from the beginners  to the wonderful in watercolors and oil paintings. We even had an author sharing some of her work (me). There were several that due to the difficult weather last week felt able to attend but not bring their work. That was just the visual arts.

On to the performing arts from rap to "How Great Thou Art", gymnastics to a break dancing battle, guitar soloist to an impromptu band that closed the evening with the Beetles and the King of Rock 'n Roll we even danced to Blue Suede Shoes. And get this, the evening was free!

We even had a great emcee. Loved it all!! Come join us next time, won't you?

Oh! Did I mention The Night Dancers?

No comments:

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...