March 27, 2012

Tickle - Tease Tuesday

"You should never have come here." This time his tone softened.


"Yes, so you've pointed out to me many times." She gazed sadly out the door of the tent, seeing nothing. "I won't be here much longer, so you don't need to worry."

"True?"

She turned her listless gaze toward him. "What?"

"I... I suppose I'll miss you."

Straightening her spine, she turned to face him. Looking directly into his eyes, she said, "You're a piece of work, Sam Deleon. That's the first kind word you've said to me since I've been here. Now that I'm going, you conjure up one nice thing to say." Bitterness laced her words.

Whispering, he said, "I enjoyed our nights together, True."

Her poor, pathetic heart almost came to life with his few words. What a small amount of attention she needed to feel as though she basked in the glow of his love. But she had been a fool to fall for him in the first place, and she had no inkling of how he really felt about her.

True stood beside his bed and looked down on him, almost with pity. "Wouldn't any beautiful socialite do just as well, Sam?"

She began to turn and walk away, when his good arm shot out and hauled her down on his chest. He moved his hand to the back of her head and pulled her mouth to his. Almost violently, he ravaged her, kissing her hard and then, softly. She allowed the kiss, because she needed something from him, weak as she was around him. But soon, she broke away and looked down into his handsome face.

"Good-bye, Sam." She stood and walked away as sedately as she could.

~*~*~*~

BUY LINKS for both Texas Promise and Texas True:

Desert Breeze Publishing
http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-Historical--dsh--thru-19th-Century/Categories.bok Amazon

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Celia+yeary&x=14&y=16

Barnes and Noble
http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BOOK&WRD=celia+yeary&page=&prod=univ&choice=book&query=Celia+Yeary&flag=False&pos=-1&box=Celia+Yeary&box=celia%20yeary&pos=-1&ugrp=2

7 comments:

Linda Swift said...

Great scene, Celia. I've read this book and it held me like a good page-turner should until the end. I love your Texas stories. Almost makes me wish I was a Texan. Especially in the old days when those gunslinging heroes were around.

Unknown said...

Linda--thanks for this wonderful comment. And I'll always remember that you've read all my books. We have a mutual admiration society, don't we? It's odd, in a way, since we write such different things that we enjoy each other's books so much.
I appreciate your visit.

Maggie Toussaint said...

What a gripping scene, Celia. I felt True's heart breaking, and Sam trying to show her he cared but he was not able to give her the words she needed.

What a great teaser for your book!

I notice this hero is named Sam. Any relevance there?

Maggie

Shaunna said...

Linda and Celia,
I find it rewarding to read a genre different than the one(s) I write in, and relaxing. It frees me from a terrible nightmare -- pledgerism -- I cringe everytime I look at my early work and recognize what "master" I was reading off-screen. I don't see that now, but oh the anxiety when I see it in the works of others!

Sarah J. McNeal said...

Isn't it just like a man to throw a crumb to a woman who should have the whole dang cake? Great excerpt. I know this is going to be an outstanding story.

Shaunna said...

True! Of course that is part of the fun of writing a romance. Want the whole thing, get a crumb ...
Oh yeah teasers are especially that way.

Unknown said...

Hi, Sarah--don't you just love a dimwitted man in your story you have to teach and redeem? Those are the main themes in my books..the man must learn something on how to love a woman, because trust me, most don't!
Thanks for visiting, girlfriend!

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...