April 2, 2012

The Light Keepers Daughter -Excerpt-

Her heartbeat drummed through her temples as Lawrence slipped his hand into his pocket. "Belle, I love you. I want you to be with me forever. Will you--"


With the urgency of a tempest blowing in from the sea, Mrs. Rinehart swept onto the terrace and grabbed her son by his arm. "Lawrence, I've been looking everywhere for you. There's an emergency. You must come with me, now." The band stopped to change the tempo of the music.

"What, Mother? What's wrong?"

"Just come. I'll tell you." She took Lawrence by the arm and dragged him off the terrace, leaving Belle standing alone in a semi-trance. Was he about to propose marriage?

Lawrence was gone. His mother led the way, and he followed. Belle waited, fidgeted with her gloves, and tapped her foot on the soft carpet to keep her knees from trembling. Maybe Papa had been right. Maybe she didn't belong here.

5 comments:

Patty said...

This book caught me attention right away. Looks like a great read!

Shaunna said...

It does at that! We'll show you the cover art later this week, maybe tomorrow.

Jean Thompson Kinsey said...

Thank you Patty and Thank you Shaunna for inviting me to your super great blog.

Lynette Endicott said...

Ooo you do leave us wanting more!

JoAnn said...

This is a nice blog spot. Historical's are right up my alley. This story sounds like something I'd enjoy. :)

Best wishes on your writing, Jean.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...