April 7, 2012

Sizzling Saturday

No winner posted today with no contest so how does one make your day sizzle?


Let's face it. Most of us read because we enjoy living vicariously. For the romance reader this is especially true. What's better than your own romance? The one you can read and reread as often as you like. For many, that is what drives the romance market. There is plenty of erotic romance at the physical and cyber bookstores. But what is there available for the reader who prefers a Clean romance or a Sweet or Warm Romance. Plenty, if you know where to look.

What makes a Clean, Sweet or Warm Romance really sizzle? Well, first of all remember that to this author and reader alike, the bedroom door is firmly shut. But where's the romance in that? Glad you asked. In the kiss. Not just any kiss, in the masterfully written kiss. We all recognize it when we read it, but have we ever taken the time to dissect this pleasurable experience? For those in the dating scene, you have probably dated, if only once that gorgeous individual that had no clue how to kiss. And yet you have also dated that less than sexy individual that with one kiss, that very first kiss, KNOCKED YOUR SOCKS OFF! Yeah, you remember that one.

Remembering is key here. Without spilling all of an authors secrets, let's explore that sizzling kiss. There have been a few here and there have been a few that had no idea…

On the written page there is an art to that first kiss that melts us in our tracks, compelling us to dog-ear the corner so we can come back and experience it again. And again. And again for evermore or at least until you return the book to its owner (the library).

Let the dissection begin. Notice that above I used "again" how many times? Three. Plus the original mention or that one kiss, and add to that the evermore. Five times . Five is a magic number in this case. We have five senses, hearing, sight, smell, taste and touch. A skilled author will use at least three of these, and I personally try to use all five, to describe that hot kiss. Not always, but the best out there will tell you that the senses, preferably at least three make for an awesomely hot kiss.

Let me share a kiss that I remember. A real kiss some ut-hum years ago.

What did I hear? The pounding of my own heart thundering in my ears.

What did I see? The darkness of the long shadow where we stood between his car and my condo.

What did I smell? The sensuous musk of the cologne he wore.

What did I taste? Him, the sweet masculine taste that was all his own, hinting of coconut and macadamia.

What did I touch? The solid mass of his chiseled body, the body of a weight lifter.

I could go on, but for this exercise, let's keep the number to five. There are as many visions of that kiss now, as there are readers so let's narrow the vision. This is off the cuff so let's see how I do.

The darkness of the long shadow enveloped us in cool and comforting privacy. He backed me against the brick wall with the solid mass of his chest, his strong arms shielding me from the cool temperature. I knew what was coming and yet I had no idea of the rapture that was about to send my heart racing, pounding in my ears. I stole a breath, inhaling the sensuous musk of the cologne he wore, a sent I was not soon to forget. His kiss was soft, experienced and yet noninvasive as I tasted the masculine hint of coconut and macadamia.

Five sentences - five senses.

Feel free to share your own kiss (Not your favorite from a book.) You are even welcome to follow or dog-ear the page to share or come back and read again and again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I understand about making a kiss count. Regency almost doesn't allow even that. A Passionate Love starts the romance with a kiss and I tried to make it sizzle. Hopefully the reader could experience it. Thanks for a great reader's topic.
Emma Lane

Delores said...

Great blog for jogging memories to write from...
Delores

Shaunna said...

This is a lesson I am still learning. But hopefully it helps all of us gauge a good kiss from one that falls short.

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Joyce DiPastena writes the best kisses that I've read. Sometimes the moment up to the kiss, the kiss, and the feelings right after take a page or so.

Shaunna said...

Tina, I agree. I need to step it up a notch by learning from Joyce.

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Your example is really well done. I learn by sight and being able to read this and seeing how you are adding the senses makes sense to me. It was lovely to read. Thank you.

Donna K. Weaver said...

That's a great dissection. What I'm still struggling with is trying to differentiate between the physical sensations of the kiss and the emotional significance.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...