April 28, 2012

Sizzling Saturday

Today's kiss is from Kelly Nelson and the Keeper's Calling.

I watched Ellie take one step away. Then I said, “Wait!” I reached out to grab her arm and turned her to face me again. I stepped closer and tipped her chin up, forcing her to look at me. I looked into the depths of her eyes and tried to see why it was so important for her to be here, for her to leave me. But I found no answers in her pained expression.


Ignoring the pain in my back, I lifted my left arm and held her face softly in my hands. I gently traced the line of her cheekbone with my thumb. My fingers moved behind her neck, and I leaned forward to brush her lips with mine, gently at first, testing the waters.

“I’ve wanted to do that since the first night I saw you,” I whispered.

I turned so my back sheltered her from the icy wind. Before she could tell me to stop, I kissed her again. She kissed me back at first, but the kiss held no promise of a future together. It felt more like a kiss goodbye.

Her body stiffened the moment before she looked down. She placed her hand on my chest and pushed me away, not looking me in the eyes. “It’s cold. I should go. Goodbye, Chase.”

She turned and hurried toward the white house. Stunned, I watched as she opened the gate, then walked up the porch steps and through the front door, never once looking back. I think deep down I expected her to change her mind. Slowly, I turned into the wind. And for the first time in more years than I could remember, I cried.

No comments:

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...