September 23, 2012

Chatting w/ Nike, author of Perilous Shadows




Shaunna: So, what's new and interesting about PERILOUS SHADOWS?
Nike: This is the third novel in the series and it's a bit of a psychological whodunit with a ton of romance. My heroine, Kiera Devane, had been badly hurt by life, starting with the untimely death of her parents when she was a child. And things got worse from there for her. So as the story opens in 1947, she's a pioneer newspaper woman trying to excel at what's considered to be a man's job. She's brusque, opinionated, and afraid to get close to people. She has had a poor track record with men and has basically sworn them off. Then she teams up professionally with ace radio broadcaster Argus Nye to catch a killer and her world starts to change in way she can't control. She realizes Argus is a very decent guy who seems to care about her and at the same time the killer has singled her out and appears to be hunting her.

Shaunna: Your novels tend to be what some call "realistic Christian fiction," in that they have fairly gritty crime scenes and flawed characters, much like in real life.
Nike: I have not lived a sheltered life. And I'm very aware there is evil out there. As some know, I attended the Fashion Institute of Technology and worked in the bridal industry before I began writing. That was exciting and of course the atmosphere was lovely. At the tail end of that, I also did a stint in my spare time…but it soon became all consuming…as a pet rescuer. I became aware of the horrid things that humans are capable of doing to animals. From there I became a foster mom to two lovely girls who were returned to their dad. After that we adopted three beautiful girls, half-sisters. I worked as a volunteer for the adoption agency through which we adopted our girls. There I learned of the horrid things parents and grandparents have done to their children. Knowing all this first hand, I can't write sugary novels. I don't think that's why God has called me to write. And yet my stories are uplifting, and the good guys always win.

Author Bio:

Nike Chillemi has been called a crime fictionista due to her passion for crime fiction. She was an Inspy Awards 2010 judge in the Suspense/Thriller/Mystery category and a judge in the 2011 and 2012 Carol Awards in the suspense, mystery, and romantic suspense categories. She is the founding board member of the Grace Awards and its Chairman, a reader's choice awards for excellence in Christian fiction. She writes book reviews for The Christian Pulse online magazine. BURNING HEARTS is the first book in the crime wave that is sweeping the south shore of Long Island in The Sanctuary Point series, published by Desert Breeze. GOODBYE NOEL, the second book in the series released in December, 2011 won the Grace Award 2011 in the Mystery/Romantic Suspense/Thriller category. PERILOUS SHADOWS, the third in the series released in July, 2012. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and the Edgy Christian Fiction Lovers (Ning).

Purchase Links:
Amazon (including Kindle). http://is.gd/egHcSR
Barnes and Noble (including Nook). http://is.gd/RJF2zy

1 comment:

Joan Sowards said...

Glad to meet you Nike. Thank you for the post/interview. Enjoyed the excerpt too.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...