September 28, 2012

Talking with Donna Hatch

Donna, I have to give you credit for turning me on to historical romance and I believe you call it Regency Romance. If it wears your name, I pick it up! So tell me, what is your typical day like?
It’s not really very glamorous. I get up at an obscene hour of the morning and start getting my children out the door. They all leave at different times so it’s a steady stream. Then I walk, exercise, shower and write or edit. Then after lunch, I go to my day job. After work, it’s all about family, homework, dinner. Occasionally I get another hour or two to write, but not usually. After the kids are in bed, I sometimes practice the harp (but not nearly as much as I should), spend a little time with my husband, and go to sleep. Like I said, not glamorous.

Maybe not glamorous but busy, wow. What inspired you to write romance?
I love it when the story focuses on the development of the relationship, and a happily ever after is a must.

I'm with you and the happily ever after, well most of the time, but I've gotten quite the taste for writing (not reading) the cliffhanger. (Evil laugh - guess it keeps me coming back to figure out what more I can do to the hero.) You mentioned the harp, do you write with music playing?
Yes, sometimes, but usually only to drown out other background noise. I has to be instrumental with no drum beat or it pulls me out.

I love Yanni for that very reason! What motivated you to write your current book?  
A critique partner and friend, Sarah M. Eden, who is also the author of some of my absolute favorite books, emailed me and said she and four other authors were putting together an anthology of short, romance historical stories centered around a winter or Christmas them. She invited me to join them. I accepted, then started brainstorming what I could write.
A Winter’s Knight is about a young woman whose fascination with a murdering earl and his dark castle lands her right in the heart of danger amid a terrible curse, and the man who steals her heart.
Though it takes place during Christmas, it has a very gothic feel. All six of the stories in the anthology are sweet, historical short stories by published authors.

Yum! sounds like my kind of intrigue! I love the danger that cost someone something. What will be your next project?
I’m working on book 3 of my Rogue Hearts series, a series of Regency romances. The working title of the new story is A Perfect Secret.

I guess I'll have to invite you back for that one. Where can we buy a copy of this anthology?
For now, it’s only in digital form and you can buy it at any online store like Amazon. We have plans to make it a paperback in the future—provided the sales are high enough.




1 comment:

Shaunna said...

Aha. I've been corrected, Donna Hatch writes Regency Romance not Victorian. Okay, so that's why I can't find more that I enjoy!

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...