December 17, 2012

Talking about a new seasonal read today.

Today I'm chatting with an author that has become one of my idols in the short time I've had the pleasure of working with her, donna Hatch. I was recently invited to read A Timeless Winter Anthology, Winter Collection. Do I need to say that seeing Donna's name on the book is why I said "YES!" So Donna, tell us about what you contributed to this book.


My story is called A Winter's Knight. It's basically a gothic romance. It's about a young lady whose fascination with a murdering earl and his dark castle lands her in the heart of an ancient and terrible secret. It will take more than a Christmas kiss to break the curse.

Just let me say that this was my favorite of the six stories. So my first question when invited to read this was: What is an Anthology?

An anthology is a collection of short stories. In the case of the anthology I'm involved in, it's a total of 6 stories by 6 different authors.

And six very different writing styles. I seem to recall a review that said something about a bit of something for every reader. (Me rummaging through InD Tales E-magazine for the review. Found it!) I'm going to quote here. "Each short takes the reader on a mini Christmas vacation to the past, its mystical beauty and imaginative romance. Whether it is a mystery, court or rough life of survival in the snowy cold that the reader craves served up with their romance…" Oh yes and the book got 4 ½ stars from Erin Murdock Good job ! I haven't seen her give out a lot of stars. How did this project come about and why did you decide to be involved?

I was invited to be a contributing author by Sarah M. Eden. The authors who decided to create this anthology were looking for sweet historical authors to join them, and some of them had read my books. Since they are all bigger name authors than I am, I was honored to be invited.

I know several of these ladies are involved in ANWA and that ANWA is having a Conference in February. It would be great to attend and somehow get to meet a few of you! (For more information, click on Writer's conference 2013  to the left.
So if you are one of my idols then I read stories written by the ladies you look up to. Cool! Tell me what you are working on now.

I am working on book three of my "Rogue Hearts series" which will be Christian's story. I hope to have it finished and submitted to my editor by the end of January. The working title is A Perfect Secret.

Is your writing Regency Romance or is it Victorian? Because I know I didn't think I liked these kinds of books until I read yours!

My books take place during the Regency era, a small time period between 1811 and 1820 when King George II was officially declared mad and Prince George III was named Regent. The Victorian Era begins in the 1830s when Queen Victoria ascended the throne.

On the side...I would like to let you know that I was honored to have you refer to my writing you critiqued on a recent on-line workshop. It made me think that maybe I'll take it out of the back files and see what I can do with it.

Did you hear that? That's funny. I didn't realize you were there. I hope you found it encouraging and not discouraging. Your changes really were wonderful and I hope you do finish the story--it has so much promise.

Thank you, that means a lot coming from you. You were so generous at the workshop, even when openly critiquing Treasure (the abbreviated working title) and using it as a teaching tool. I just sat there listening and silently beaming "She liked it enough that she still remembers it!" Definitely encouraging or I wouldn't have mentioned it! I find that story sneaking into my thoughts as I unwind just before sleep finds me. I think I've mentally fixed the things you suggested. But with my Talisman series, Book 1 on the open files each working day, I will have to let it sit on the sidelines until I have more energy to poor into it.

 Donna, thank you so much for making this fans day and taking the time to chat.

A Timeless Winter Anthology, Winter Collection is available on Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes & Noble, and many other digital bookstores.

1 comment:

romance author donna hatch said...

Thank you so much for the interview. I'm both amused and honored that you'd view me as an idol :-) because I have such a long way to go.
Thanks again!

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...