December 5, 2012

Talking w/ Anna del C. Dye

What inspired you to start writing?
More than anything it was my husband who got me started, after many promptings... this time he said, "DO IT!" when I finished telling him the story of "The Elf and the Princess."

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
Tolkien characters... they are awesome. There are so many and so much to tell about them that the master didn't... I just have to help him. :) That is why my series is called The Elf Series. I love elfs.

Do you have a favorite character? If so, why is he/she your favorite?
I do, too many in some of my books. Mostly because they are in many ways living my life experiences. This makes them very close to my heart.

For example:

Adren lost everything when her kingdom was destroyed and her only hope was the young elf and his race.

I left my country and everything there to start a new life by the side of a wonderful young man. I know what is to be with strangers, their culture and to have not only to trust them, but become one of them. This has taught me to trust and depend on this handsome young man, which in turn has made my love for him, as deep as Adren's.

That is awesome. I know I draw on my personal experiences in my writting as well. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
--Never give up!!! I echo that.
--Join a writer's chapter close to you right now, and learn from them. Ditto.
--Start sending small stories and articles to magazines, both on line and traditional. Also to newspapers, even if they are from a University or whatever.
(Keep all the copies of any publication in a file/folder.) I didn't do this but I can see how it could prove invaluable. My next guest has done just that and her new release is proof of the value of this advice.
--Join critic groups and let them help you with ideas to make your work better. Don't let anyone change your work... I said to MAKE it better. This can be a tough one. Listen to the suggestions, take what works for you and thank the critiquers that took the time to voice their opinion even if you don't agree. This will also help you develop a thick skin when it comes to the loud individual telling you your work is crap. It isn't crap, it may need a little fine tuning, but remember that you can't satisfy all the readers all the time.
--Start blogging with the name you will use as an author so people get familiar with it. This will help you sell more books when your book is published. (Two blogs a week, but not too long--up to 15 lines.) Okay, I could have used this advice last year...
--Start promoting your book at least nine months before is published. Wise counsel, that means once the contract is signed with a publisher, or when you schedule your e-book self pub, begin. Don't wait.

You once told me that English is your second language. What sort of challenges did you meet in trying to write your books, if any?
Not many really. I write and my editor has to figure what I am trying to say. (If I can't figure how a word goes in English, I put it in Spanish...he speaks Spanish very well.) We have a lot of fun when we edit the books which we always do together.
So I just write and he adds the "ed" or takes them out when I put them in and so on. It works beautifully because he is awesome and knows me so well.

You are lucky to have an editor like this and luck he is a he. My prefered editor had to bow out just recently do to the arrival of a precious little one. I can't blame her. Who would you say is your targeted audience?
Teens and the young at heart.

What would you say is the most challenging part about being an author?
Spending hours promoting my book when I would like to be writing another.

Promoting can take hours out of any day. If you could give your book to only one person, who would it be and why?
A teenager in trouble...
In the hope that he/she could discover the power they have deep inside to change and become better. I want them to see that nothing is impossible if we put our minds to it.

A note from me: Don't give your book or e-book to everyone that wants one. If you do, you won't see any royalties...

You can find all Anna's books at her website, http://www.annadelc.com
and at Amazon http://ning.it/TtStY5

Thanks so much for the chance to visit your blog,

3 comments:

Anna del C. Dye said...

Than you so much for the interview, Shaunna. :)
Anna del C. Dye
for clean tales of Elfs & Romance
http://www.annadelc.com

Writers Unite to Fight Cancer said...

Nice interview. I love your example about the character of Adren.
Life experiences surely do fuel the author's pen.

Margaret

JoAnn Arnold said...

Great interview and some very timely advice. thank you.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...