May 20, 2013

Compliments, Felicitations, and Dissertations

What woman in her right (or left) mind doesn't appreciate a heart-felt compliment?
I wondered that as I dismissed yet another kind felicitation. Am I insane? Well, that is debate-able, and on some days I would proudly proclaim "YES."

Okay, so what is this awesome compliment that I felt so unworthy of, you may ask. It was this--I'll try to summarize. Yes, as an author, and according to this compliment, I am very well qualified to do so.

Where was I/ Oh yeah, the summary of the compliment...You (as in I) should write children's books. That is where you excel. You have truly missed your niche in the writing field. Those stories you used to tell your children were riveting, and they still remember them.

I should have smiled demurely and answered "Thank you." But no, not this one. I had to lapse into a full dissertation on the skill required to write a children's book, complete with the value of reading levels and illustrations. Oh, when will I learn that sometimes (and I wonder if this was one of those times) a compliment is meant to lift the troubled soul. To bring a smile. Or to just make one feel good.

Hump...
So, to women everywhere...Next time a compliment comes your way, smile and say "thank you."
(You can always dissect the critter later.)

No comments:

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...