June 27, 2013

Writing a Pain-filled Story

Writing update, least you perceive that I'm waiting on my laurels for some humongous event.
While children focused on finishing the school year, yours truly focused on creating an autobiography.
 I'm very aware of those of you who have asked me to write my own story over the years. I've gently refused delving into painful memories of living with the pain. But with WUFC's (Writers Unite to Fight Cancer) founder asking for me to share my story in under 4000 words, I have at last acquiesced. The limited word count allowed me to touch on moments that illustrate my experience with Multiple sclerosis without reliving them intently. Doing so made the hard part of the task much easier. At last the tale is completed and with beta readers.
(Beta readers are skilled authors of my acquaintance that will shred my baby before returning it to me in the course of making it stronger, faster, better than it was before. Okay, maybe not faster.)
Lest you get too excited or begin to place me in hero status, be aware that I have ulterior motives and that it is for a good cause that I write. This autobiography will be submitted, with a nice out-of-pocket fee in WUFC's annual writing contest. Contest winners will be published and sales from the book will be donated to cancer research.
I'm proud to be a part of WUFC at this juncture in my life and will let you know how the piece does later this summer/fall. If it does well, I'll obviously encourage you to purchase the book (I probably will anyway.) And if the piece doesn't win, I'll share it here.
Until then my friends---
Live in the beauty of the sunlight,
Laugh with those who share your lives, and
Love more intently than you have before.

No comments:

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...