March 7, 2012

Lynette talks about PWD

PWD? What does that stand for?


Persons with Disabilities. The abbreviation is ironic, though. The idea was to stop using labels and start using "people" first. The initials have a risk of becoming a label themselves.

I was part of the disability rights movement, promoting things like the. Americans with Disabilities Act, for example, before I realized I was a person with disabilities. Did you know that before the ADA was passed in 1990 it was legal in this country for a store owner to exclude a person who used a wheelchair because they took up too much room in the aisles? I went to a public meeting in Kansas City in the late 80s and heard one person after another tell of the discrimination they faced because of their disability. The ADA is a matter of equal justice for people with disabilities.

Most of my early career, like Paige's (Paige is the heroine in More Than a Job), was with people with developmental disabilities. We were working for the right of people to live in the community and not in institutions. While group homes as opposed to individual apartments are not always the best solution, sharing a house and staff can work for some folks, so that is the setting that Paige works in. I have certainly seen poor health care for people with disabilities. Some of the people you run into don't give the same level of health response, and as in the story, sometimes advocacy with them has to be pushy.

My disability is a chronic pain condition. Does it impact my life day to day? Sure. Does it keep me from living the life I want? No. You adapt, cope, figure out better ways to do things. I see that same tenacity and success to live independently in most of my friends who have disability.

The belief in the disability justice community is that every person has a right to community life and their disability is part of who they are. Think of disability as a characteristic like nationality, gender, height, weight. Each of us is different, and most of us who live long enough will experience disability at some point in their life. It is part of the whole of who we are.

 
Lynette Endicott, Author
Desert Breeze Publishing

"Where starting over is the path to romance".

Just Released - More than a Job

Coming August 21, 2012 - Animal Instincts

First of the Time after Time Saga with Tami Dee

Coming October 15, 2012 - Return of Joy

http://www.lynetteendicott.blogspot.com/
http://www.lynetteendicott.com/

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I have a disabled son so I understand.
Emma Lane
SANDPIPER AFFAIR
coming soon: GONE TO THE DOGS
DESERT BREEZE PUBLISHING

makenwords said...

I've been very blessed not to have a chronic condition. I recall being injured very young and being on crutches for quite some time. It was not an easy world to live in. The world was a hard place to navigate and people don't always consider the difficulty of even the smallest things when there is a physical limitation. I truly empathize with those who endure daily. Great post!

Shaunna said...

I'm biased and I don't wish pain on anyone, but I do wish that everyone or someone very close to them had to deal with physical limitations for just long enough to empathize with so many that cope with a disability every day, one day at a time and sometimes one minute at a time. that and we need to recognize that we are all able in someway. DISABILITY does not equal INABILITY.

June Foster said...

Lynette, I'm so impressed by your selfless attitude and courage - how you can live with pain day in and day out. I know you call on the Lord's help to see you through. And I don't think I've heard any whining from you. (smile) I'm sure I would. Thank you for your post today.
Thanks to Shaunna as well. June

Donna K. Weaver said...

As my city's election official, this is an issue for me. Municipalities are exempted from the Federal ADA requirements for voting when choosing voting location. I ALWAYS use the same locations the county does because they are ADA accessible. People frequently don't think about the issues involved unless they have challenges or know someone who is.

Barbara Scott said...

A diabetes-focused magazine I read recently began using PWD along with a raised 1 or 2 to designate persons with type one or type 2 diabetes. It took me a couple of articles to translate then accept the new jargon.

I'm afraid you're right though. I worked in Special Education for 25 year and though terms and definitions often changed, the ignorant and intolerant soon learned the new terms and used them on the same derogatory and hurtful way. Changing vocabulary doesn't stop cruelty.

Lynette Endicott said...

There is nothing selfless or courageous or enduring about living with a disability. It is about living life, and adapting our actions, environment and yes, attitude to get the most out of it. I was hoping some of my friends in the disability community would comment here, because they have an important perspective, seeing life with a disability as something most of us will experience one day. Seeing disability as matter-of-fact, an attribute, changes the fear society sometimes has about becoming disabled. If we think about how to be inclusive and intentional about our lives and to accept that disability will come and I will still have a full and meaningful life, I think our society will have to change.

Yes, June, the Lord does guide mr through when I am not sure how to proceed. I am convinced he has the same expectations for me as he has for all who would follow him - our faith and our living example of being like Him in how we love others.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...