March 15, 2012

Talking Thursday w/ June Foster, author of Give Us This Day

Give Us This Day is the first in The Bellewood Series scheduled for release through Desert Breeze Publishing.


June, what do you love about your latest book?
I guess what I love the most is the fact that it's my debut novel which means I've got the opportunity now to get my stories "out there." I'm praying my stories will bring hope to readers who deal with similar issues as my characters.

Can you tell us something about this book that your readers would love to hear?
Jess Colton, the hero in Give Us This Day, is a computer geek who lives and works in Bellewood, a fictional name for the Microsoft mecca of Western Washington, Bellevue.

Tell us about your dream of becoming a writer.
That's the crazy part about me. I never dreamed of becoming a writer nor did I have the desire to do so. After I retired from teaching, I discovered a story lurking in my head. I told my daughter about it, and she casually remarked that I should write it. That was the spark which the Lord used to put the desire in my heart.

When did you decide you wanted to write, for real?
As I said above, the Lord literally opened up my heart and poured the desire to write inside. God was my only catalyst. I felt as if I was compelled to begin writing my stories. I read every "how to" book I could get my hands on and started pounding the keys of my laptop.

How does it feel when you write?
When I write, I feel as if I'm telling God's story. Sometimes I get a feeling about a character, as if he/she is my best friend, and I care about them. Now, don't laugh, but once when my husband and I were worshiping in a church service, I saw in my mind's eye, my character standing right there next to me worshiping as well.

Tell us what your favorite genre is, and why?
Before I started writing, I read end-time fiction such as the Left Behind Series. So crazy because I had never read romance and now that's what I write.

How is it that you decided inspirational romance is what you do best?
I can't explain it. The stories God gives me are contemporary inspirational romances though I've toyed with the idea of writing romantic suspense. But that's for another day.

Is there a secret recipe to writing inspirational romance?
When I first started writing, I read "Writing the Christian Romance" by Gail Gaymer Martin which was like my Bible. I learned so much from that book.

Tell us about your all time favorite character (of your creating.) Is he/she modeled after a real person?
Ryan Reed from Ryan's Father is my favorite character. He's not modeled after any real person. The stakes are higher for Ryan than any of my other characters. Of all my others, Ryan has to take hold more firmly of his Christian faith to see him through his dilemma and become whole in Christ. His issue is one that the Christian market seems to want to sweep under the carpet for now, but I believe the Lord will eventually find a home for this book.

In case you want to know the theme of the book, here it is. Ryan Reed battles same sex attraction but through his confession that homosexuality is a sin, intense counseling, and the power of God's word, he finds freedom to marry the beautiful young woman who falls in love with him.

Readers, did you hear? Not one but four new titles to watch for…

Give Us This Day -- Available Now.

A Hometown Fourth of July -- July 1, 2012

As We Forgive -- September 1, 2012

Deliver us -- April 1, 2013

You can find June at http://junefoster.blogspot.com/

http://www.infinitecharacters.com/

http://www.desertbreezepublishingcompany.com/  
June's books are available at Amazon Kindle and Barnes and Noble.

Contest hint: June writes almost everyday.

1 comment:

June Foster said...

Shaunna, It is such a pleasure being on your blog this week. I appreciate your creative ideas for this interview. Thank you.

Your story is encouraging and so exciting. May the Lord bless you richly. June

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...