April 13, 2012

Fickle Friday

Betsy and I are comparing stories today. Hope you'll feel free to share one of your own too. Betsy, where were you born?


In a hospital that no longer exists in St. Johns, Arizona. This little town was hardly even heard of before Salt River Project took an interest in parking their power plant there. Not that it’s a thriving metropolis now—I think the cows still outnumber the people 100 to 1.

That just might beat my being born in a resthome for the aged! (for those of you unfamilar with my story, see my profile on the left sidebar.)
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

That’s an easy question. There are two places that have always intrigued me. I love the look, the weather, the people, the scenery of New Zealand. But I hear it’s pretty expensive. My other choice would be Australia because of its political climate.

I too would like to try Autralia, but not for the same reasons. I think my draw is an awesome series that my family has recently gotten hooked on. Can I live on a station and just ride horses? No chores for me, I know how hard that can be and shearing sheep? Ugh.
What is the funniest thing that ever happened to you or you witnessed that made you laugh so hard you couldn’t catch your breath?

I even wrote a short story about this. We had this pesky mouse that was terrorizing our home. We’d see him scamper across the floor when we’d least suspect him. He’d chew on everything, especially in the middle of the night keeping us awake. One afternoon, I saw him run behind a cookie sheet I had propped behind the kitchen sink to dry. I slipped a cup on either side and caught him. I took him directly into the bathroom and proceeded to flush him down. Who knew that mice were such good swimmers? That little bugger would NOT go down. All of the children had gathered round to watch its demise. After about the third flush my husband reached into the toilet and picked him up by the tail. “Any creature with that much will to live deserves to.” He took the mouse outside and let it go on the bank of the canal. In my mind I pictured some feral cat making a meal of that mouse. Shortly thereafter we procured a cat!

EEk! my sister once had a mouse try to build a nest in her hair while she was sleeping!

8 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

The only problem with Australia and New Zealand is their seasons are backwards to what we're used to. Although, I did adjust to the perpetual summer of the Philippines. It's just he idea of snow in June that gets me. =D

A mouse nest in her hair at night? *shudders*

Betsy Love said...

Wow, I just notice a serious typo in the first paragraph. It should reader "In a hospital that no longer exists"
This is what happens when you write fast and don't go back and edit.
**palm plant on forehead**
Yeesh

Betsy Love said...

Squee!!! Tomorrow is the drawing!!! I better tell you about my sizzling kiss.

Susan G. Haws said...

I am a follower of both blogs. I love chocolate.
Australia and New Zealand have always intrigued me. I love the accents of the people from both places and pictures I have seen of New Zealand look lovely.
Australia's animals have always appealed to me. All the marsupials and to see "pet birds", I used to keep cockatiels, wild in flocks sounds wonderful.
I like purple and green as well.

Jessica L. Celaya said...

I think Australia would be cool to see all the unique animals. Except perhaps not mice, that story was crazy. Thanks for sharing!

P.I. Barrington said...

There used to be a children's rhyme that went:
"Here Comes Bunny FooFoo, walking in the forest, scooping up a field mouse and hit him on the head. Here comes Little Fairy, telling Bunny FooFoo, "If you hit that field mouse, I'll hit YOU on the head..."
Well I actually had to hit a field mouse on the head!
I'd heard a scratching sound coming from our kitchen and ignored it until went into the kitchen for some milk. Hearing it again, I leaned over the kitchen trash and there he was, frozen and staring up at me pretending to be invisible! When I went to tie up the trash bag he started leaping straight upward to try and jump out, growing more and more frantic as I tried to tie the bag shut. Finally he jumped so high I had to whack him on the head with my hand! I took the bag outside, put it in a trash can and hoped he gnawed through the bag and got away...haven't seen him since!
Thanks for the great post Shaunna and thanks for letting me post that story!

Shaunna said...

lol I love little Bunny FooFoo! and the memories it stirs. Thank you for sharing your story!

Betsy Love said...

P Barrington--I used to sing "Little Bunny Foofoo" all the time to my kids. They loved it! Now they're grown ups with kids of their own, I hope they pass it on. The mouse in the trash can...that's kind of funny/sad. I hope he got out, too...to breed more little gnawers!

Thanks for visiting, Jessica.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...