May 15, 2012

Intimate Rain Storm Scene by Shawna Williams

Jakob headed for the living room, holding the chandelier by its chain. "Hey Meri," he called to her over the rain. "Come in here."
Meri walked toward the living room, but paused at its entrance as a gust of wind hit her. "The window is broken," she said.

"I know. The wind is blowing south though and the porch is keeping most of the rain out."

Meri took slow steps toward him, crossing her arms and rubbing them as the chill from the storm hit her. Jakob stood in the center of the room with his hair blowing wildly.

"What are you doing?"

He closed his eyes and tilted his head back slightly. "It feels nice. Kinda like standing in the rain without getting wet."

He laid the chandelier on the floor and marched over to the wall. Meri watched as he used his foot to clear pine needles and dirt from an area of the floor. He stood over the spot, inspecting it, and then unbuttoned his plaid shirt and took it off, revealing the white tee shirt he wore underneath.

Her heart jumped into her throat.

Jakob laid the shirt on the ground, then turned and sat next to it with his back leaning against the wall. "Come on," he said. "I saved ya a seat."

She furrowed her brow. Her teeth clattered with a sudden chill but she did as he asked. "This is crazy," she said, taking a seat on his shirt.

"Nah." He stretched out his legs, leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

"Jakob, what are you doing?"

"Just takin' it all in." He let out a relaxed sigh. "You should give it a try."

Meri folded her arms. Then unfolded them. She hated feeling self-conscious. "I don't know how."

He cracked one eye at her. "Be still."

"What?"

"Copy me," he said. "Lean back, close your eyes."

She did as he said. "Now what?" This was nuts.

"Quiet your mind, and just listen and feel."

Meri took a deep breath and tried to relax. It wasn't working. She sneaked a glance at Jakob. His face seemed beautifully serene amidst the swirling bits of debris flying through the room. It was so... him. Somehow, realizing that made her want to give herself over to the experience. She took another deep breath and let it out slowly.

The first thing she noticed was the musty scent had been cleansed from the air. The smell of rain, clean and fresh, took its place. Droplets rhythmically pattered against the roof. And the sound changed with the wind -- becoming soft, like a whisper -- then building into a crescendo with the howling gale. At its peak, rumbling thunder. It was music.

Her body relaxed fully and her shivers subsided. She surrendered to the moment, allowing the wild breeze and cool mist to touch her, tickle her. Tiny goose-bumps rose all over her skin. With her eyes closed it felt as if she were elsewhere -- suspended and floating. Free.

"It's beautiful," escaped her lips.

"Glad you could join me," Jakob whispered.

She felt the warmth of his hand slip around hers, his touch joining them in the experience. Their own private symphony.



Compare this scene with the one from tomorrow and tell me which is more romantic.

7 comments:

June Foster said...

I loved this scene when I read No Other. Tomorrow's better be pretty romantic to beat this one. (smile)

Donna K. Weaver said...

That was lovely.

Shaunna said...

Nicely done...tomorrow? I like tomorrows better, but I already got to read as I posted 'em!

Shawna K. Williams said...

It's hard for me to decide, which is why I chose these two.

Unknown said...

Very nice. Can't wait until tomorrow.

_ said...

enjoyed it, but not sure if it's romantic yet. He could be a good friend.
J Lane

ginger said...

Did you think about having them stand? For me it would be a better way to enjoy the storm. I love the setting. She seems so closed from enjoying the physical experience and he teaches her. Very sentual

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...