May 11, 2012

Legacy of Lies - Kiss

They were alone.


Her pulse quickened. He was close enough for her to smell his slightly salty, woodsy scent. She squeezed her eyes shut and took a deep breath.

His husky voice broke into her silent revere. "You worried me back there. I don't knowwhat I would've done if you'd been hurt."

Her gaze met and held his for a moment, but she quickly looked away. Sarah plucked atall blade of grass and rolled it between her fingers. The emotion in his voice stirred the butterflies in her stomach. She straightened her posture. "I made it out okay."

A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth, but he remained silent.

Sarah lowered her head. "What I meant to say was thank you for saving me," shewhispered.

"You're welcome."

Sarah smiled. "That bull sure did give me a scare. I'm kinda surprised my heart didn'texplode from sheer terror."

He cleared his throat. "Well, now you know how I felt. When I heard you screaming, myheart nearly stopped." His eyes locked on the dancing flames.

Sarah swallowed hard, the tension thick enough to be palatable. She eased a little closerto him. Suddenly, he turned to her. His face was only inches away.

For a moment, she openly gazed into his eyes. They were deep brown with tiny flecks ofgold. Pools of mystery she longed to solve.

"I'm sorry, Jim. I just saw that baby get stuck and I didn't want to see it trampled." Herhands trembled now. She needed to look away. She needed to break this hold he had on her. She couldn't.

"I know. You're a sweet girl." He spoke so softly she nearly missed the words. Hisfingers traced her jaw and then lifted her chin.

To her surprise, her lips eagerly met his.

 
Desert Breeze Publishing: http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-273/A-Legacy-of-Lies/Detail.bok

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/A-Legacy-of-Lies-ebook/dp/B007K1LS58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332042156&sr=8-1

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-legacy-of-lies-stephenia-mcgee/1107713261?ean=2940014338950

Also available for download from iBooks for the iPad



4 comments:

Laurel Hawkes said...

I enjoyed this story, eager to reach the end because it was different from any other romance I've ever read.

Stephenia said...

:) thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Shaunna said...

And hey, they can come here for a taste of the heat!

Shaunna said...

I don't want to down play this kiss so I'm sharing this link http://pattyfroese.com/ for authors both published and unpublished. Really the link is for all who have a dream.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...