May 7, 2012

Momentous Moment

This Moment is shared by Donna Weaver.

Background:
Lyn has some emotional baggage and didn't expect to care for Braedon so quickly--and literally ran away and avoided him for days after he tried to move their relationship beyond friendship. This was their first meeting after she fled. Now, the reconciliation takes place later in the book and in an entirely different way. Ms. Practical and Miss Romance are battling voices she has in her head.


The moment:
I was on the floor in a full split, when Braedon tottered in. I ducked my head, my heart pounding, hoping he wouldn’t see me down on the floor, but he paused at the entrance next to the aerobics area. I didn’t hear him move on, and curiosity finally got to me; I looked up to see what he was doing and saw him studying me. I wasn’t sure what to think of his expression.

Flushing when our eyes met, I dropped my head back down on my leg. With my peripheral vision I saw that he continued to stand there for a moment before moving on. I glanced up when I heard him move away and saw him going to the treadmills.

I scooted farther away from the entrance, but I could still see him. If he turned around he would be able to see me. I hurried through the rest of my stretches, really sorry now for the four missed days.

When I was finished, facing away from the treadmill area, I hurriedly put my things back in my bag. It was hard to keep my footing, but I finally got everything packed and turned around.

Braedon stood directly before me, his feet slightly spread for stability.

I started and then staggered when the ship rolled. As I lost my balance, he grabbed me around the waist and pulled me close to help steady me. I believe it was a combination of all the stress I’d been under combined with the surprise of suddenly being in his arms. I lost my head and said the first thing that came to my mind.

“You are so hot,” I murmured.

His eyes opened wide, and my jaw dropped as I realized I’d said it aloud.

“I didn’t say that!” I exclaimed frantically, pulling away from him.

Braedon grabbed me back again. “Oh, no you don’t! You can’t say something like that and then just walk away.” He kissed me. It wasn’t forceful or pushy, but rather gentle and tentative.

There was now a war raging inside me. Ms Practical shrieked at me to run, to get away. Miss Romantic shouted that I should put my arms around him and kiss him and touch those incredible shoulders and arms. I was frozen with indecision.

When I didn’t pull away, he kissed me again with more confidence.

My heart was now beating so hard I wondered if I wasn’t in the throes of a panic attack. I felt like someone had linked me to an outlet that was sending electricity through the marrow of my bones. My fingers and toes even tingled. I needed air ...

“Stop,” I finally gasped.

He did instantly, studying me.

“I’m not interested in a shipboard romance,” I whispered.

“Neither am I.” He said firmly and kissed me again—thoroughly.

“Stop,” I pleaded, breathlessly.

Once more he quit immediately, shifting his legs to keep balance as the ship rolled again. “Have you had breakfast yet?” he asked.

Ms Practical, Miss Romantic, and I paused in confusion. “Is that a trick question?” I asked.

Braedon chuckled and kissed me again. “No. Let’s go get cleaned up and have something to eat. We need to talk.”

I’m sure my blood pressure went through the roof.

Ms Practical and Miss Romantic were duking it out again inside my head. It must have shown on my face.

“Really,” Braedon said firmly. “We need to talk ... and please promise me you won’t disappear again.”

Miss Romantic did a flying roundhouse kick to Ms Practical’s face and left her lying in the dust, throwing her arms up in victory.

I nodded.

2 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

I still like that scene and so wish I could have kept it. *sigh*

Shaunna said...

Change the names and write a whole novel around it!

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...