June 7, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday

Happiness is not what something makes you feel. Happiness is a state of mind, a choice one makes - before, during and after each moment one experiences. We choose how we will think or feel at any given time. One may choose to be angry, excited, sad, overjoyed and a host of other emotions about any given situation.

Today, I met with a group of my peers discussing this. We come from different walks of life. Some of us are single, some married. Some have young children at home and yet we even had a few women present that are grandmothers and great-grandmothers.
The question was asked "What makes you happy?" One woman immediately asked that we rephrase the question to "What causes you to feel happiness?" Over fifty women present and not two answered the same thing. Some said their children, when their children were asleep, the laughter of a baby, helping a friend, and so many more that I don't recall them all.
For me? The hug of one of my children, sunshine through the trees, watching a humming bird, riding a horse at a gallop across the meadow.
What causes you to feel happiness? (One of the lady's said sex -- but let's keep this rated PG.)

7 comments:

Shaunna said...

Oh yeah, and did I mention writing? Even on a cloudy or rainy day writing in my WIP brings me so many pleasant things--accomplishment, smiles, tears (sometimes), and yes, happiness just to name a few.

Donna K. Weaver said...

I like life. I enjoy spending time with my family, reading books, watching movies, being out in nature. The list goes on and on.

Patty said...

Something I've worked hard towards coming together makes me positively giddy. :)

Shaunna said...

So much to be thankful for and counting those blessings even those that help us crete new things help us feel happy--ah heck, it's all great when you stop to think about it, isn't it?

Unknown said...

My husband and two sons. My cats. Having a minute or two to read, watch a movie or working on my needlework projects.

Shaunna said...

Thanks for sharing ladies!

Unknown said...

Hands down, the thing that brings me the greatest joy is watching my sons with their children, especially when they're at play. I see what great fathers they are, how their love for their kids dictates everything they do, and how determined they are to raise them in the Gospel, and my soul sings.

I believe every parent in the Gospel longs for such an outcome and fears it won't happen. It's happened enough in my family---in my brothers and sisters, in the children of faithful siblings. When I watch my children (all six, including my DILs), I get an inkling of how Lehi felt in his dream.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...