February 5, 2013

Cliffhanger or will I hang? That is the question.

WIP Update.


Currently, I am scrambling to mesh many comments into my rough draft that I thought was closer to sharing than it is. A very savvy beta reader asked me why a particular scene was so important. Could it be condensed without the whole suffering or possibly a second book?

I think I like the second alternative. But it would leave me with a few dilemmas.



First, and I believe most important, would readers forgive the major Cliffhanger? As in the suspense of the book not solved but carried to Book 2.

Second, more work will be required to do what authors call "fluff" the novel. This requires adding more without sending the reader into a l" hunt to kill author" mode.

Third, since this is a time-travel romance, if the cliffhanger is none other than along the lines of: Will hero/heroine return for the other? Will their love survive the absence? Will the reader be open to such?



Decisions, decisions…help me make the decision. Will you read a cliffhanger if you know it will leave you hanging? Under what conditions would you consider doing so?



And yes, I can wrap it all up, but I don't think you or I would be as content in the long run. After all-- good things are worth waiting for.

1 comment:

Donna K. Weaver said...

You've already heard my take on it in the ANWA chat. There are cliffhangers and there are cliffhangers. That ones where you stop the action of the story right in the middle and leave me there, I will not read further until the series is done.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...