April 12, 2013

-Update - Writing helps - Logline -

For those of you who are not writers, let me advise you that your favorite authors work hours on necessary tasks that you may not ever be aware of just so that you, the voracious and occasional readers have hours of reading pleasure.
That said, I have recently read on another blog (I visit and read so many, I can't remember whose it was so let me just insert the post author's name, Jenny Hansen.) For years since I began writing seriously, I've wondered how in the heck to write a decent logline. For those of you who do not know what this is, let me summarize in my own words. (This isn't written in stone, so don't quote me.) A logline is one sentence that not only hooks the reader but tells who the main character is (without using his or her name), summarizes their story goal and the obstacle (read villain) that they must overcome and what is at stake. That is a lot of info to cram into one sentence! Oh, and did I mention that an acquisition editor that reads thousands of these every day, will toss it in the circular file (read trash) if it is a run-on sentence? Oh yeah, love and support your favorite authors and let them know it by stalking/following them. The stalking/following deal includes those who borrow books as a rule rather than buying the books.
Okay so I was looking through my files earlier this week for an unrelated item and came upon the saved info.
^^^^^^SCREECH!!!
Jenny instructed authors to begin a book by writing this logline, not trying to write it after the story is completed! Oh! So this is the tool I need to keep my characters from high jacking the plot!
Enter the chapter I shared here earlier this week. Time to write the logline to keep Trevor in line (He has been a frequent visitor to my writing dreams for years. He has a lot to say and I have tried -- much to his frustration -- to tell only a bit of his story. He is demanding center stage. Oh yes, he is willing to share the stage… as long as I am very clear on who the hero is!)
He is ecstatic that I am writing a log line to keep me in line.
So, without further ado…I think I've given it plenty…Here is the logline for Trevor's Story.

It takes more than a shove to steer a confident and headstrong, retired CEO of twenty-six in the right direction; it will take the nudge of an inquisitive mind and a spunky physical therapy student to learn to live again after the forces of nature threaten his fortune and his life.

No comments:

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...