July 20, 2013

Previous first chapter to WIP

A story of love and sacrifice
Lord, help thou my unbelief…
Chapter 1

"I'm sorry Porsche, I just can't continue to support both of you girls. I know this comes out of the blue, but I hope that you can understand why I feel I should help Mercedes finish school. She hasn't vacillated in her chosen field like you have. I just can't justify continuing to throw good money after bad. When you decide what you want, we'll talk again."
Porsche couldn't believe her ears. Grandmother Wilkes had offered to pay for college tuition for years. Because of Grandmother's assurance that Porsche's college education was going to be at Grandmother's expense, Porsche has spent her money on a car and explore various universities one semester at a time. Now, that decision was coming back to haunt her.
"I understand Grams. It just comes as a surprise."
"I know dear. I wouldn't have wanted this for the world, but my portfolio really took a hit when the company I invested in sold. The new owners are uninterested in the opinion of an old woman or her investment. Maybe you can find a job to pay for your schooling."
"I'm sure I can. Thanks Grams. I love you."
"I love you too, dear."
Porsche ended the call and set her smart phone on the coverlet of her bed before the tears invaded her evening.
In the weeks that followed, she made the most of her remaining days at UNLV. Making sure she didn't miss a single extracurricular activity that caught her interest, hoping that at least one would outshine all the others. It just wasn't happening.
The day she had to call home for money for the third time in a month was the day she decided to return home and take her old job back, working for Uncle Reinhold at the hardware store.
She and her twin sister, Mercedes, had worked summers for him. It was while working for him that she had earned enough to buy an old car. Dad had fixed it up and it served her well. Mercedes would become the only college student in the family and Porsche would be the daughter living at home. She had to earn money to get out of the small town of Arbon before it became too comfortable to leave.

(Okay, this isn't the fun scene I promised---Come back in a couple of days...)

No comments:

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...