March 22, 2011

Book Review: Awakening Avery

book review by Valerie J. Steimle


For those who love a good story woven around a widow losing and finding love then Awakening Avery by Laurie Lewis is the book for you.  Though you might not be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) the story rings true for any widow of Christian or Jewish faith.

I am a widow. Avery’s a widow. My husband died at 50. Avery’s husband died in his 50’s. I have nine children. Avery has 3 children. I am of the LDS faith. Avery is of the LDS faith. I have a lot in common with Avery. Laurie Lewis’s new book called Awakening Avery could have been my journal entry for the first year I lost my husband. There are many similarities and it is incredible to see how this story unfolds for Avery and her family.

This is an amazing story of one woman’s journey for peace after losing her husband too early. Avery has to deal with her life post husband’s death and then pick up the pieces of her children’s life with the grief of their father. I laughed and I cried. 
Laurie Lewis wrote about an incredible journey of healing and love. Take a break from your life for 344 pages of travel from Utah, to Baltimore, Maryland to Sarasota, Florida and follow the adventures Avery experiences in learning to love again.

You will find Awakening Avery here: 

Hope you enjoy the read.

1 comment:

Anna del C. Dye said...

Great review Shaunna. Great book.

Oh My!

Oh my, it's been a long, long time since I posted anything here. Really, I do this now because I recently got a note, if you can call it...